Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Coffee Cake...Mmmmm

Tonight my sweet Dad was up for supper as he does at least one night a week.  With my Mom now gone, we try to make sure Dad comes up to visit since so many of his meals he eats by himself.  I always try to send him home with lots of leftovers, and if I have time, some quick dessert.

Tonight, I looked in my cupboard and saw that I had a yellow cake mix.  I Googled "recipes with yellow cake mix" and saw cookies you can make with a cake mix, which I've done recently (and were tasty) but then I saw a coffee cake recipe.....now that sounded real tasty.  I've never made coffee cake before.

I do easy recipes.  Ones that my picky kids and hubby will eat.  This one seemed easy enough from All Recipes.com:

Ingredients

  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
  • 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant butterscotch pudding mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan, or a 10 inch Bundt cake pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the cake mix, vanilla pudding mix, and butterscotch pudding mix. Add the eggs, oil and water, mix until well blended. In another bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts. Pour half of the batter into the pan, spread evenly. Sprinkle with half of the nut mixture. Cover with the rest of the batter, and sprinkle with the rest of the nut mixture.
  3. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn the oven down to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes.

This is how mine turned out:



I did not have butterscotch pudding mix, but did have 2 boxes of vanilla, so that is what I used.  I was going to add some rum extract, but forgot.  I think that would have made it even better.  It's super yummy...I've had 2 pieces already and may eat the ones on this plate, too.

This will be my new go-to recipe for breakfast on holiday mornings or when I need to make a dish for someone.   This made a 13x9 pan, but could probably be divided into 2 smaller pans to give one away.   (but why would you want to do that??)  By the way, All Recipes is one of my favorite sites to get easy, family-friendly recipes from that have user reviews and ratings (which I am addicted to reading).  This coffee cake got 4 1/2 stars.  I give it 5!




Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. It's looks yummy for sure!! The problem for me is I'd eat the entire pan! You're such an adoring daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks soooo good and sounds really easy to make. I love how you include your dad for dinner. I'm sure it means a lot to him! Have a good week!

    Lori : )
    Thrifty Decor Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...