Sunday, May 6, 2012

Message Board Magic

A while back I saw a great idea for an easy message board in a magazine (I think it was Fresh Style).  I was amazed at how I never thought of this idea before!  Taking any frame you have +  putting pretty scrapbooking paper behind it=cool message board!

Let me show you the easy steps:

Take a frame you have or buy one the size you want.  If you want it for the wall, you probably want at least a 11" x 14" frame.  You could also use a small one for a message board for your desk, just make sure it is the easel-type that can stand up.




You will need a frame, paper, paper cutter, and some kind of paper adhesive, preferably something you can spread, not glue dots.  I used Scotch's Craft Glue Stick.


Next, take the back off the frame and remove the cardboard, board, or other attractive pictures (if new).   My frame I used was so old all I had to use was the board.  Find scrapbooking paper that matches the colors or theme of the room it is going to be in or just pick something you love.

Turn the cardboard or board over and trace onto the paper.  Cut out the paper.  Then, adhere the piece to the board.  I used a craft glue-stick.  You can piece different papers together if the frame is larger than your paper.






Now, put your board/cardboard back into the frame and admire your easy memo board!



You can write a message, quote, To-Do list, anything!  A dry erase marker works perfectly on it, and easily wipes off to change what you have written.  You can attach a dry erase marker to the top or side of the board with a small piece of velcro.  Magic!



You can also add embellishments, such as ribbon or chipboard letters to add a little pizzazz.

Here are a couple more examples I whipped up:

This was an old frame I had, it's about 16" x 16".  I used two different kinds of scrapbooking paper since one was not large enough.  I also used rick-rack to go over where the different papers met to cover the seams.   I slightly distressed some chipboard letters and voila!  An easy, inexpensive message board.

This frame originally looked like this:




But I quickly gave it a coat of acrylic paint, sanded it a little, and stenciled my daughter's initials on scrapbooking paper.  So now it looks like this:



These are so easy to make and also would make an inexpensive little gift!  You could even make one for a new mother to have in the nursery to write down the last feeding!  Or as a teacher gift!  If you end up creating your own message board, be sure to send me a pic so I can see it!
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Nicky, i love how you used rickrac to cover up the seam of the two papers! I made one of these to use as a menu board in our pantry, I love this idea:)

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is darling. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! Why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...